We are a group of people who want to make a difference and who are passionate about plastic use reduction. We also believe that making the contribution can be easy, fun and creative! Proudly being a part of an international Boomerang Bags project, we aim to get rid of those pesky single-use plastic bags in the Dominion Rd area.
Our group started in October 2017 as a small home-based sewing club. In just a few months it became clear that the group was thriving and required more space to host new members, boxes of fabric, cotton, irons, machines, etc. Then luckily we became the residents of the wonderful, cosy and welcoming Gribblehirst Hub! Since then we have held more than 18 sewing bees meeting and have crafted over 1000 bags donated to Dominion Rd retailers.
How does Boomerang Bags work?
- As the first stage, the bags are sewn from recycled bits of fabric or cut-offs
- Then the bags are donated to the retailers, where they can be borrowed by customers in case they have forgotten their own reusable bag. Everyone can use our beautiful bags absolutely for free!
- Then the Boomerang Bags users return the bags to the store where they have taken them from or to one of the other Boomerang bags collection points. That's it!
What do we do on our regular sewing bees?
We cut, iron, pin, overlock, sew, and of course, chat, laugh and have tea with tasty home-made treats.
Come and join us!
Everyone is welcome, no sewing skills are needed, we will guide you if you want to be a part of the project.
- Every second Wednesday of each month from 7.30pm to 10.00pm
- Every fourth Sunday of each month from 9.30am to 12.30pm