The Gribblehirst Community Hub will take all practicable steps to ensure the safety of staff, trust members, volunteers, students, visitors and contractors by complying with relevant health and safety legislation, standards, and codes of practice.
The Gribblehirst Community Hub will ensure, as far as it is reasonably practicable, that the health and safety of other persons is not put at risk from work carried out as part of its operations or undertakings. Health and safety is everyone’s business, and everyone is expected to share in our commitment to avoid all accidents and incidents, which may cause personal injury, property damage or loss of any kind.
For the purposes of this policy, all paid Workers, Volunteers, Contractors, Trainees, Volunteer Trustees and Members of the Hub are considered as “workers”.
- To ensure that Gribblehirst Community Hub is compliant with the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
- To ensure the health and safety of staff, trust members, volunteers, visitors and contractors that come to the Gribblehirst Community Hub
- To ensure that risks to the organisation are identified and managed appropriately; and
- To ensure that all parties are protected by an explicit and clear procedure/s.
Guidelines and Procedures
Every “worker” associated with the Gribblehirst Community Hub is expected to act safely at all times to ensure their own well-being and that of their fellow “workers” as well as others in the workplace. This policy applies to all.
The Gribblehirst Community Hub will:
- Comply with all relevant health and safety legislation;
- Engage with “workers” on matters relating to Health & Safety.
- Practice continuous improvement in health and safety;
- Ensure ongoing evaluation, review and updating of compliance with the health and safety plan and this policy;
- Provide resources that ensure a consistent and systematic approach to health and safety management; and
- Support the safe and early return to work of injured employees.
It is the intention of the Gribblehirst Community Hub to identify systematically and control all hazards in the workplace. Where there are significant hazards the Gribblehirst Community Hub will take all practicable steps to:
Eliminate the hazard,
Isolate the hazard, OR
Minimise the hazard
Where the hazards may only be minimised, the Gribblehirst Community Hub will ensure:
- Protective equipment is provided and used by all workers, at all times necessary.
- Good work practices are used and maintained.
- Workers are properly trained and/or supervised.
- Where appropriate, and with the consent of the worker concerned, health monitoring in relation to exposure to significant hazards is undertaken.
- Any new hazards identified, are incorporated into Hazard Register and all workers are informed.
- Any new equipment and/or tasks are assessed before use, and safety controls/practices are established.
- All hazards and the hazard controls will be regularly assessed.
- All workers are aware of emergency and evacuation procedures.
Health and Safety Responsibility
The Gribblehirst Community Hub shall either:
- Delegate Health & Safety responsibilities to a Trustee, or
- Appoint a Health & Safety Representative
The Health and Safety Representative will:
- Implement the Health and Safety Plan;
- Develop and publish a Hazard Register for the Gribblehirst Community Hub site.
- Ensure that all practicable steps are taken to protect workers, visitors, clients, and the general public from harm.
The Gribblehirst Community Hub will also:
- Create and maintain a safe working environment;
- Ensure that at least one worker holds a current First Aid Certificate.
- Be proactive in identifying and controlling hazards;
- Ensure workers are consulted with, and are given the opportunity to participate in health and safety management;
- Provide appropriate orientation, training and supervision for all new and existing workers;
- Ensure there is an effective method for identifying hazards that workers and visitors can use;
- Ensure that procedures are in place to deal with all foreseeable emergencies that may arise in the workplace;
- Ensure that audits of health and safety are regularly carried out and that workers are kept informed of health and safety issues as they arise;
- Require contractors to ensure that no action or inaction on their part will harm any other person; and
- Maintain an accurate recording, reporting and investigation of incidents / accidents.
All workers have individual responsibility for health and safety. The expectation is that all will:
- Take reasonable care for their own health and safety;
- Ensure that no action or inaction on their part endangers themselves or others;
- Comply as far as is reasonably possible with any reasonable instruction given by the Manager or Trustees of the Gribblehirst Community Hub to comply with the Act and/or Regulations.
- Cooperate with any reasonable policy or procedure of the Gribblehirst Community Hub relating to health and safety at the workplace.
- Contribute to developing and managing health and safety procedures;
- Bring health and safety issues to the attention of the Health and Safety representative or Trust Board;
- Understand and comply with health and safety policies and procedures; and
- Follow standard procedures for dealing with hazards and accidents.
- Report all accidents/incidents to the Manager immediately.
IMPORTANT: All accidents and hazards at the Gribblehirst Community Hub must be reported immediately. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
The following standard documents are held in the Gribblehirst Community Hub:
- Incident/Accident Register
- Hazard Board